Donald Trump deliberately extends Irish trip just to watch golf Sam Frost Sun, September 13, 2026 at 8:43 PM UTC 0 Donald Trump stayed behind to watch Shane Lowry win (Image: Getty Images) Donald Trump has disclosed that he extended his trip to Ireland deliberately to witness Shane Lowry&x27;s victory at the Irish Open. Lowry attended an exclusive dinner thrown by the president at his Doonbeg resort in Co. Clare on Saturday night.
Donald Trump deliberately extends Irish trip just to watch golf

Sam Frost Sun, September 13, 2026 at 8:43 PM UTC
0

Donald Trump stayed behind to watch Shane Lowry win (Image: Getty Images)
Donald Trump has disclosed that he extended his trip to Ireland deliberately to witness Shane Lowry's victory at the Irish Open.
Lowry attended an exclusive dinner thrown by the president at his Doonbeg resort in Co. Clare on Saturday night. The Offaly native held a substantial lead heading into the final 18 holes, and Trump claims Lowry's "infectious" character persuaded him to remain in Doonbeg until the competition concluded.
Trump indicated he was scheduled to fly back to Washington, D.C., prior to the tournament coming to an end, but he remained through the final round, delivering remarks on the 18th green before handing Lowry his trophy.
Shane Lowry wins Irish Open by huge margin as Donald Trump applauds
Donald Trump's Irish Open visit at Doonbeg sparks mixed reactions
"This is about Shane," Trump addressed an enthusiastic crowd. "I went back last night, and I was watching some of the news, and they were showing him nine putts in a row, and I thought that was best of... meaning, over the years, just one putt after another, I guess it was nine in a row, and he was unbelievable.
"But, he also hit the ball really well, too, a lot of other things, but he's a great guy. And, what happened, I shouldn't say this, but I was with Shane last night, and he's got an infectious personality, and we were talking, Rory [McIlroy] was there, a lot of people were there, I said, 'I was supposed to leave [on Sunday morning], I was supposed to be out of here, but I'm going to stay and watch Shane win,' and he did."

Trump had dinner with Lowry the night before his win (Image: Getty Images)
Lowry took the added pressure in his stride, romping to a remarkable 11-shot victory after closing with a seven-under-par 63.
Advertisement
Secret Service agents and local police locked down the roads at Trump International Golf Links soon after the presentation, and the U.S. President was driven away in a large motorcade before boarding his Marine One helicopter, which flew him to Shannon Airport to board Air Force One.
Trump concluded his speech by thanking the people for their welcome, heaping praise on Lowry: "A lot of people don't handle that very well, but he handled it. And, you know, the first hole, the people went crazy, everyone was going crazy, he hits a perfect drive, great second shot, and he makes it a birdie. Who does that? Nobody does that."
DON'T MISS:
Donald Trump met with more cheers than boos at Irish Open trophy presentation
Lip reader decodes Trump prediction to Brooks Koepka over Irish Open fate
Donald Trump gets armored golf buggy at Irish Open after mass protests
Trump wrapped up his remarks by expressing gratitude to the people for their reception, calling it an "honor" for his family to host the DP World Tour event.
He added: "I do want to say, though, that on behalf of my son, Eric, and the whole Trump family, this is an honor. We're so proud."
"And, frankly, Ireland itself has been so incredible, so inviting, and we're very honored by presenting you with a great course. It's been great."
Source: "AOL Breaking"
Source: Breaking
Published: September 13, 2026 at 11:54PM on Source: PRIME TIME
#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle